Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Why are you asking?

Ben Carson recently got into trouble when he answered a question regarding whether a Muslim should be president.  Here is the text:
On Sunday's Meet the Press, Chuck Todd asked Ben Carson, "Should a President’s faith matter?"

Carson's answer was comfortingly banal. "Well, I guess it depends on what that faith is," he replied. "If it’s inconsistent with the values and principles of America, then of course it should matter. But if it fits within the realm of America and consistent with the Constitution, no problem."

But Todd had a follow-up. "So do you believe that Islam is consistent with the Constitution?"

And then Carson went off the rails. "No, I don’t, I do not," he said. "I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that."
OFF THE RAILS!!!  Really?.  Nevertheless, what is the point of this question?  To put Ben Carson in a situation where they can label him a racist.  Literally, the entire point of the question is to call him a racist.  Does it matter whether Carson believes that Islam is consistent with the constitution?  Nope.  Does it matter whether Carson believes that Christianity is consistent with the constitution?  Nope.  His first response was perfect.  His second response should have been something like:
That's not a question for me to answer.  It's a question for an candidate who is a believer in Islam to answer and I fully expect that you will ask that candidate whether his/her faith would override his faithfulness to the constitution.  My faith has made me into the person I am today, a person who will govern with adherence to our constitution unlike the current president and the democratic party.


0 comments:

Post a Comment